Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Playback Sequence Anomaly  (Read 10936 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Playback Sequence Anomaly
« on: April 16, 2019, 04:13:28 AM »
When I use the player's navigation to select a folder to play all is well. When I am in explorer, select the folder and clik the Play in the explorer toolbar the folder contents load but the tracks are all shuffled around. Not good.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Playback Sequence Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
This has been a long standing issue & it's down to what order the OS decides to provide the list of files & often the best "solution" is to ensure the first item wanted is the selected item (e.g. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20190409-00/?p=102406).

One option would be to see if there's a playlist in that folder & try to use that instead (if all files exist in it) but if you only want a specific selection then that starts to get messy quickly as to how / what is wanted. The other is to look at the files being added, apply additional sorting on them based on metadata / basic filename matching & try to go that route - its more flexible for solutions but also brings a performance impact on larger selections.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
You're link refers to an article discussing the file open dialog, and as I stated this works fine within the media player construct. My issue is with the explorer window and with the selection of a single album/folder. The contens of the album/folder music files are properly/sequentially named and tagged. I seem confused with your response. Perhaps I need to clarify better.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »
The Open File Dialog is just a variation of the Explorer view & what you're describing is something that's been going on since Winamp started as it's down to the OS and not the client.

Winamp/WACUP just gets a list of files & there's generally no control over what the ordering of that list is, with where the focus is within Explorer, etc often helping but it's not guaranteed.

Hence why I was talking about having to consider doing additional processing of the list of files provided in order to maybe come up with a more appropriate ordering of the files once added into the playlist.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »
Yeah, I am not being clear somehow. I have added an image and it shows the selected folder and the play toolbar button. If this were a non-WACUP issue (i.e.'winamp' legacy) I would have noticed this long ago. Just to double-check, I changed the default player for the music files to use 'Winamp' and when the explorer play button is tapped Winamp fires up and the files load in the correct sequence. When I change the default player back to Wacup and repeat the steps Wacup fires up and the files are all scrambled. I apologize as I have no idea how to be more precise.

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »
This has been a long standing issue ...
oh! perhaps you meant long-standing for WACUP only. if true i apologize

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
I meant for Winamp as well as WACUP. The difference is probably due to WACUP not having the same shell integration as a plain Winamp install has but even with the code that Winamp has for handling such things, there's been numerous reports of the order not being correct. So I'm fully following what you're referring to, just I'm not conveying it clearly enough.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »
I meant for Winamp as well as WACUP. The difference is probably due to WACUP not having the same shell integration as a plain Winamp install has but even with the code that Winamp has for handling such things, there's been numerous reports of the order not being correct.
Well, I am not among those. My winamp behavior in this regard is tip-top. Will this be resolved for WACUP?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 06:55:31 PM »
We'll see once I've coded up what's needed to integrate with the OS.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
We'll see once I've coded up what's needed to integrate with the OS.

-dro
thank you.