Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: WiFi Sync to Android Phone  (Read 10324 times)

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
WiFi Sync to Android Phone
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:53:03 PM »
I know that WiFi sync to Android is already there. But maybe one of these days you can take a look at it and make it work more reliably.
No rush, but this is the wishlist, so I am wishing.  :)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: WiFi Sync to Android Phone
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »
Alas that's just not possible to my knowledge. As the issue with wi-fi sync + WAFA (I assume that's what you're referring to) is due to the protocol being used. So unless it was improved in both WAFA and the respective portable plug-in I don't see how any improvement could be done.

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:40:50 AM »
My Idea:
New Portable plugin or refactored or whatever
New Android App - The app doesn't even have to be a player like previous WAFA. Just a link to make the connection when you turn it on.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »
Tbh I'd have thought having a means to use one of the existing file storage / sharing services (dropbox, onedrive, box, etc) would make more sense than re-inventing the wheel seeing as they've got things in place to handle file syncing between devices.

Unless I'm missing the point with the request... (which is possible ;) ).

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:22:17 PM »
I don't know how existing file storage / sharing services run. I haven't researched it any.
But if they have made a way that you could integrate them into Winamp somehow so that you could right click and send a file to my device (Much like how it is done now except more reliable), then problem solved.
I just don't want to have to plug a cable in to load it up with music.
Also, I don't know how the existing file storage / sharing services do it. I guess a nice feature with the current implementation is that it didn't go over the internet. Everything stayed on your internal network and that made transfers very fast.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »
The keeping it on the same network is the bit that they don't do. They typically upload to 'cloud' storage and then any connected devices on the account see the changes and pull them down as required.

Am wondering if a UPNP solution could work instead but it'd depend on the device side if it's then able to grab those files or just stream / play them (which I don't think you'd really want & would prefer getting local copies on the device to then be played).

The key thing is that any solution would need to be interoperable with other solutions just to make it worthwhile. Will have to do a bit of research as I've only briefly looked into the likes of dropbox & upnp options back in 2014 so it's not too fresh in my mind.

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »
Lets not encourage people to become part of a botnet. UPNP should be disabled on everyone's router, and in Windows.
Perhaps something like AjaxAmp would be a solution, or a wrapper for it.
http://ajaxamp.com
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
Opening up of anything on to the internet leaves a risk be it UPNP (as you've helpfully clarified for me :) ) or from just basic web servers (as ajaxamp, hrequest, etc operate as). Maybe I could just go evil and create an FTP server from within Winamp and leave it as that :D

But being serious about things, whatever is done, the security of the setup needs to be thought about from the get go instead of trying to patch it in afterwards (i.e. trying to make use of HTTPS connections instead of HTTP).

And going back to original request, something like airdroid (which has been in the news recently for it's security related issues) might be an option to what I've already mentioned from the dropbox, etc options..

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
I hate to hijack this thread so you can answer in PM if you feel necessary.
After your comment about turning off uPNP, I tried to do some research and I couldn't find a definitive answer of what uPNP does, what would I miss if I disabled it or a consensus about keeping it enabled or disabling it. No one wants to be part of a botnet.

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
Thanks for the links.
That is good reading!
I have uPnP on but still passed the tests, so that is something but it good to keep an eye on security.

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread but the original one (https://getwacup.com/community/index.php?topic=37.0) was pointing here;

Dr.Flay,
Did you ever hear back from Henry00 on an update for his old plugin "HRequest" ?
just curious as I could have interest in a refreshed version of the plugin;
essentially what I'd be interested in is a remote version of dro JTFE plugin including access to the full ML and existing features (move requests up-down, delete, etc.)
I'm currently using Ampfifi for Android which leverages Ajaxamp; it's stable and works pretty well but it's missing some key integration to JTFE.
I've managed to implement some workarounds but it would be nice to have a fully working plugin.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:05:28 PM by etsaman »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »
Hacking up an old plug-in isn't going to help. Until the replacement api is determined & things are done internally to make it easier to access the information, even getting that plug-in (which isn't needed as there's already the http server with wacup) isn't going to make the progress any faster.

-dro

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
Sorry dro, this was in no way intended to put additional pressure on you and the API dev.
Simply trying to raise interest in the actual concept of a real "queue" (JTFE) + usefulness of remote control.
I felt like Henry00 had correctly captured the intent IE: requesting songs remotely/via Android while another playlist is live

Once the API is determined, I guess some third party development will still be required to make this happen; so hopefully some people will eventually show interest in developping such a plugin;
Or as you seem to imply, maybe not even required; can you elaborate on "it isn't needed as there's already the http server with wacup"; as I couldn't find much info on it. ( Prefs-General-Internet ?)

Thx for keeping an eye on things! =)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:07:32 PM by etsaman »