Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Classic Skin Modules Resizing  (Read 8605 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Classic Skin Modules Resizing
« on: March 16, 2019, 06:35:04 PM »
I wish that you could manually size any module via preset percentage or use custom slider for precision just like the 'Quinto Black CT' module resize functions. Refer to attached image.

(I titled this 'Classic Skin', however, it is a secondary 'wish' that this function be a core feature that will apply to any skin chosen)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Skin Modules Resizing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:29:53 AM »
OK - just noticed that WACUP has this 'wish' feature in the menu. However, it is greyed (negative-function). I shall assume it is a feature that  may be implemented sometime in the future.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:46 AM »
OK - just noticed that WACUP has this 'wish' feature in the menu. However, it is greyed (negative-function). I shall assume it is a feature that  may be implemented sometime in the future.
that comes from a WACUP plugin that allows the same opaque feature that is present in modern skins, the scaling function however is disabled and may or may not be implemented
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »
Modern skins were designed with scaling built into the skin engine from the start. Classic skins weren't & only the main & equaliser windows got native double-size support.

WACUP remedies a bit of the classic skin issue in allowing (along with a small update to plug-ins) the generic skinned frames to support double-size mode (e.g. media library & skinned jtf windows). It still leaves the main issue of the main playlist editor window not following the mode (I don't know why it never got done) but that is being worked on as part of the delayed next beta build but will mean out of the box most of the windows should at least follow the double-size mode (would just be the video window that's not done).

Making classic skins scale at more levels (or even custom scaling) needs to be looked into once more of the Winamp core is replaced with the WACUP core. As just getting the main playlist editor to work correctly without breaking everything has been tricky over the last month & a bit - trying to then replace the handling for the main & equaliser windows to allow them to scale to other values would be more work that I won't say no to doing but it's going to be further down the road map.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
... - trying to then replace the handling for the main & equaliser windows to allow them to scale to other values would be more work that I won't say no to doing but it's going to be further down the road map.

-dro
thx for your reply and words of hope/optimism

-MS

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 02:50:04 AM »
Maybe this needs it's own thread, - As an afterthought, the real wish should have been to resize the module with a window corner/edge clik and drag to 'any' size the user want.

Yes, this would be way superior than the  op method. sorry - Admin, make a fresh topic of this if you so desire.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 01:22:53 PM »
That really depends on the skin & with more so modern skins how it's been designed. This is one of the downsides of allowing the UI to be changed as there's going to be lack of functionality for visual eye candy & vice-versa due to how its been designed. I get that from a user view point this is ultimately frustrating & can & has made people move to other players.

That's why for the Quinto skin the artwork window is a fixed size & not allowed to be resized (even though it's something you'd expect to be able to do from other skins) & it can probably be changed as part of a custom build without too much issue if the skin developer wanted to or if someone wanted to have a play around with it.

Specifically for what I think you want, you can try using the modern skin engines per-window scaling (it requires disabling the linked scaling option) & that might help get you something closer to what you want but that has the downside of any outer frames also getting scaled & looking blurry, etc.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:25:40 PM »
dro - thank you for your very informative reply. You are correct that from a 'user' pov simple issues are not so from the developer's pov. Perhaps a developer-oriented guideline sticky for the Skin and Wish forums may direct one to post issues that have a good chance of being considered.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »
When it comes to the modern skin engine & trying to deal with issues be they bugs / complaints from users or skin devs, the ultimate issue is that it's closed source (there's a lot of it out there but not the core aspects) & that makes it so much harder to try & resolve vs issues with classic skins. There are intentions to make a replacement modern skin engine but that's a complicated process of it's own along with everything else that's going on so is lower on the list / worked on intermittently.

-dro