Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: [UNDER DEVELOPMENT] A Replacement for Gracenote CDDB support  (Read 63026 times)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: [UNDER DEVELOPMENT] A Replacement for Gracenote CDDB support
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »
Between the two CDDB options EAC includes, the freedb one is the same as I'm looking at, the GD3 one I don't know much about other than you have to pay to use it after a 10 disc trial (so I've no idea on the quality / breadth of what it's able to provide).

For writing, cdrecord was something that I'd also come across I'm just a bit hesitant when it comes to making use of any GPL based software as that and your suggestion appear to be. As the other option from the Facebook page was to effectively create a temp folder with the pre-rendered WAV files and then allow that to be handed off to an external program (so much like the piping option).

Really burning is a bit of a pain in how best to do it so the process flow won't suck but can do what's needed within the confiines of having to go with free solutions. It's why just doing playback / ripping are the easier option (it's the same process other than how the read audio gets treated). Anyway, there's been a good number of comments & suggestions about everything that's made my head hurt a bit :)

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »
would it be an option to make the changes to just use DAE for playing and ripping and note that burning would be in continued development?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
I'm not sure tbh. As I could try and do some means of proxying a new plug-in with the old one (I've done it for some things but then I've still got a Sonic dependency and other compromises). The ideal is some small clean solution that doesn't rely on Sonic / any of the existing hacked in functionality but whatever I end up doing, it's going to have to be done piecemeal and it's only really for the matter of convenience that burning support still seems to be required from the few that have requested it stay.

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 07:38:52 PM »
Here is a possible compromise. How about having Winamp export a playlist as a cue file ?
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 02:04:22 AM »
I'm not sure that'd make sense tbh as a cue file by it's specification can only relate to a specific file and not a batch of files as per a playlist.

If it was from a pre-converted output from the origin playlist to a single file then in that respect it could make sense to also output a cue file with it (as long as it didn't breach the cue file specifications on duration and all that fun).

-dro

sirlemonhead

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
I've never used Winamp to either rip or burn a CD.

I do use it the very occasional time to listen to CDs directly though so would be somewhat keen on that feature staying, along with tagging. But if it had to go, it really wouldn't be a big deal for me personally.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »
I've got to consolidate and post up a blog post about the results of what's been posted in response to all of this (thank you all who have taken the time).

It's generally keep what there is (and fix what's broken) or forget about it and do something else. So about what I'd expected as you either use CDs or you don't but for those that do, not many seem too bothered if burning support wasn't re-implemented, with working playback / ripping (which are effectively the same action with just different output handling) being preserved if possible.

-dro

Etrigan

• My first computer was a VIC-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 09:31:01 PM »
Having hundreds of CDs, I still occasionally need to rip. When I do, I religiously use EAC.  Burning is not something that I have ever done with winamp.  Imgburn is my goto for that need. So the option would be nice but not on my top 10 list of needed updates.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
The starting point of the replacement CD plug-in is now in the latest WACUP beta (#1400) which is provided for initial testing to see if playback of a CD works with it ok or not. I've also included the native version of the plug-in (now renamed as in_cdda.original) so it's possible to swap between the two as needed for testing purposes (by renaming the dll extension - as I've not got the controlled plug-in loading features finished).

It doesn't have the freedb / musicbrainz look-up enabled and a number of other things, just basic playback as if that doesn't work correctly, getting the other stuff working is a bit pointless at this time :)

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
I wonder if the other option free in EAC is useful. It makes use of
https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net
It supports MusicBrainz and freeDB metadata databases, AccurateRip and CTDB
also searches for lyrics and artwork.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2019, 09:30:23 PM »
Necro bump :)

Noted for when work resumes on the ripping plug-in though at least there's working MusicBrainz support with the plug-in for title look-ups that the ripper mode would be using anyway.

Lyrics & artwork is something that is more appropriate for any of the format handling but I've still to get the core metadata service implemented before trying to add on the bells & whistles ;)

-dro

zag2me

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »
I actually run an audio metadata and artwork website with a JSON api for music data. Kodi, musicbee and various music tagging software already use it as a source of music data.

If you ever wanted to include automatic data lookup then I would be happy to help out.

https://www.theaudiodb.com/

API guide here:

https://www.theaudiodb.com/api_guide.php
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:22:18 PM by zag2me »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2019, 07:55:57 PM »
Dunno how I've never come across it before when I've previously looked for such things.

Once I've got other things in-place I'll come back to this as it'll hopefully help with a number of things that are sitting on the back-burner.

-dro

jpickerell

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 03:38:32 AM »
Super old thread, but I do still play audio CD's with Winamp (er, WACUP) and would sure be nice if CD lookup could still be worked on some day again when you might be able to set aside a little time for it! Know this is not a highly requested feature so understand a low priority but I don't see ever NEVER play audio CD's again.

Thanks again for all your work on this project DrO! Much appreciated!

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2021, 01:20:14 AM »
Hi jpickerell,

Since at least beta build 5586 WACUP has been providing audio CD tags in the media library Audio CD view. The tags are downloaded from the MusicBrainz database and include the type, disc #, track #, artist, title, album, year, length, genre, album artist, category and publisher, if they are available. The available  tags should appear automatically, but if not there is a Reset Metadata button at the bottom of the view. These tags can be edited for each CD and are stored locally in a special WACUP database file.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:38:18 AM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system