Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Album Art for Streaming - Module Rename  (Read 22029 times)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Album Art for Streaming - Module Rename
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
Sorry this was a bit later to reply to (the ATF / Discord emoji issue & irl stuff took longer to do than planned).

Ok, so #1 - that seems a reasonable thing to try & implement as there's no consistent way to get branding artwork from a stream (was tried with SHOUTcast but it flopped really hard). The image you see is the hard-coded default though on the 'album art' preferences page there is a way to override that image if wanted. I've logged this as something to look into as there's a few things I'll need to sort out with artwork & the artwork plug-in to be able to cleanly support it.

For #2 - I've not provided a simple zip version of what is in winamp_res.dll (which is PNG & setup to help me do some core engine overrides more easily) as I didn't think there was any interest for it. As it's the 5.666 files with some wacupification & fixing some visual quirks with the skin. Editing the dll can work but it needs to be the same resource id & type & also format (png) & like was noted that will get replaced when the build gets updated.

Looking over the posts I see it's just not having any text in the titlebar - is that something wanted on all windows or just the main window? As you can just use the image files needed (extract or from the base skin - I'll have to sort out a correctly named copy as I just store things by resource id instead of the winamp core filename expected) & put them in their own folder in the main 'Skins' folder & then select that as the skin.

Any images you don't need to edit will then just fall back to the built-in ones so depending on your needs it could just be main.bmp/main.png (WACUP supports saving & loading the classic skin images as PNG) or it'll normally need a few more for eq, playlist & generic windows but that's not hard to do :)

-dro

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
For #2 - I've not provided a simple zip version of what is in winamp_res.dll (which is PNG & setup to help me do some core engine overrides more easily) as I didn't think there was any interest for it.

MourningStar, have you succeeded in removing the title bar text(s)?
Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
^
Located only one image in it that might be the one

No, it is not that. It is this.
I saw that one in there, but did not think it would be the one as it looks all blurry and stuff. So, are you saying if I change this one it will work as desired?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 04:41:20 PM »
Create a folder in the Skins folder, copy the attached file into it & select that folder as the current skin. If you need it to work in a non-WACUP install then it needs to be converted to be a BMP file.

If other windows need it doing then it's simple to do so & I'll be putting up a proper copy of the WACUPified 5.666 base skin later tonight / tomorrow.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 05:26:40 PM »
Works!

If I modify your png to display "dro's WinAmp" and go thru the steps, it should work too?

I look forward to doing this to the others ...

-thx

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 11:02:05 PM »
Yup, that should work.

I've also uploaded the pre-extracted copy of the base skin being used & posted it to https://getwacup.com/community/index.php/topic,517.0.html

You just need to remember that you're limited on the space that you can put text on the titlebars due to the fixed classic skin format & how parts are used to pad out things based on the window size but you should be able to come up with something that fits your needs whether it's winamp or wacup branded. As it's not hard to get back to what the base 5.666 winamp version on the look but you get some of the fixes that were done over the original 5.666 copy.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 01:05:09 AM »
i am not clear on how to modify other module names (enhancer, classic spectrum analyzer, playlist editor) with that link. I have no clue what a wsz file is ....

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 01:51:09 AM »
A wsz is just a renamed zip file (same goes for wal skins which are zipped modern skins but not related to this). Will amend that information in the thread linked above.

It depends what you're wanting to change as I did ask for clarification if it's just blanking the titlebars out on all windows (am happy to do that) or something else but I might have missed that reply.

Enhancer uses it's own image (not in the zip) which I've attached the current copy I've got for it (base.bmp). I should probably try & add in something to the wrapper to maybe auto-use an enhancer.bmp/png if found in the current skin as you otherwise need to manually set it as things currently exist.

CSA uses the generic skinned frame handling so changing that affects everything or then involves modifying the plug-in. As it's titlebar is based on the window text set by the plug-in instead of being predefined in the skin so depending on the requirement determines whether that can be done or not. If it's blanking out titles then that can be achieved by editing gen.png & setting the titlebar filler along with getting the correct part of the text used to fill the titlebar to effectively not look like it's there even though the skin engine will be painting it.

The playlist editor is controlled by pledit.png and works like the titlebar.png example I'd previously posted in just edit a bit of it to get the result needed.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 01:59:55 AM »
thank you for the attention you have given this dro. However, it all seems out of my league and will withdraw my module rename request. I would rather this effort be spent on the individual album art for 'bookmarked' radio/online streams as per the op. -thx

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 02:06:23 AM »
As long as you're sure as depending on what's actually wanting to be set it's not necessarily something I need to be involved with doing (arty people are easier to find around here). Plus since having blanked out the main window title, I'm sort of liking the ambiguity of the titlebar without text so I might still do a version of the base skin that way :)

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 04:30:17 AM »
As long as you're sure as depending on what's actually wanting to be set it's not necessarily something I need to be involved with doing (arty people are easier to find around here). ... -dro
I am not clear as to what you mean here. If you are stating that 'other people' are better suited to implement my stream-based album art request, it does seem they have been  quite silent regarding the matter. However, the night is young ... -thx

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »
It was in relation to the skin changes.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »
It was in relation to the skin changes.

-dro
OK - the term 'skin' is not 100% familiar to me. My  current interpretation of this term is that it refers to the graphic image of each module (enhancer, csa, visualizers, etc.).. Am I close? If I am then modification of these skins is above my skillset. When you provided the modified 'main' skin and the steps to implement,you showed me the 'for dummies' steps and I can do that. I took a stab at the enhancer without success. It seems there are pieces of it thru-out the system. I even learned of a folder labeled 'Virtuastore' that plays a role, as well as folders in app data.

If someone is game, I would like to change 'Classic Spectrum Analyzer' to 'Spectrum Analyzer'.and if a set of 'for dummies' steps (like you provided to me earlier) I will attempt. -thx

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »
I'm not sure what you managed to do to end up in the 'Virtuastore' folder as that's not something which is going to be used. For enhancer it's edit the image I'd attached & then the plug-in needs to be instructed to use the edited image file via it's skin browser mode (hence why I need to look to add support to the wrapper to have it try to auto-load an image file from the current skin without the user needing to manually change things).

The CSA window title is defined by the plug-in & would need a newer version of that to get it changed (the alternative option I would suggest doesn't work under WACUP as things stand due to the localisation support being intentionally disabled). Though I'm not 100% keen on changing it unless others prefer the shorter title.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 02:57:05 AM »
Thank you for the information dro. I would like to drop the module re-name wish entirely and prefer to move forward with the streaming art feature. I can start a new thread, or you can start a new thread or you can modify this one and extract all the module re-name postings.