Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Help with two very short descriptions  (Read 7480 times)

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Help with two very short descriptions
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »
Dear Native Speakers of English,

Will you help me in replacing the following outdated and grammatically not really correct descriptions with up-to-date, grammatically correct ones, please? By up-to-date, I mean the references to fast CPUs should either be dropped, or rephrased to something like "back in 2006 when Vortex was released, users were warned that these features required..." So here are the two very short descriptions:

Desktop Alpha smooths the edges of this skin and So you can see light effects. May cause CPU usage to dramatically increase.

If Tickerscrolling is enabled, all textlines (eg. the Songticker) scrolls their text, if it is too large for the given width. This needs a fast CPU. For older PCs it's recommend to disable Tickerscrolling!

These descriptions appear in the Smooth Skin part of the Preferences window of Vortex.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:35:51 AM by ariszlo »

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Help with two very short descriptions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:27:43 PM »
How about this?
Enabling desktop alpha allows the use of translucent layers, which is required for backlight visualization.

• Is it intelligible for non-technical users?
  • Is it correct grammatically?

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »
I hope this helps:

"Desktop Alpha smooths the edges of this skin so you can see light effects. May cause CPU usage to increase dramatically."

"When Tickerscrolling is enabled, all textlines will scroll their text if it is too large for the given width. (eg. the Songticker) It is recommended to disable Tickerscrolling if you have a slow CPU."
OR what I liked better, but I wasn't sure if it was clear:
"When Tickerscrolling is enabled, all textlines will scroll if it is too large for the given width. (eg. the Songticker) It is recommended to disable Tickerscrolling if you have a slow CPU."

I do like the edit that you made:
"Enabling desktop alpha allows the use of translucent layers, which is required for backlight visualization."

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »
Thank you, Juanus. I like your corrected texts, which are also faithful to the original. I'm thinking on making both descriptions shorter, dropping any references to computers which were too old in 2007. I don't think anybody is using a computer in 2019 which is not powerful enough for desktop alpha or ticker scrolling.

Is this sentence okay for ticker scrolling?
This will make the songticker text scroll if it is longer than the display area.

It is not general enough, does not mention other text lines but I don't think it would be really necessary for a non-technical users.

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:41:08 PM »
"This will make the songticker text scroll if it is longer than the display area."

MUCH better.  Very nice!

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
Thanks, Juanus, for checking them. :)