Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: [FIXED | NUMEROUS CHANGES MADE] WACUP won't start  (Read 26383 times)

pimento

• View Profile
[FIXED | NUMEROUS CHANGES MADE] WACUP won't start
« on: January 14, 2019, 02:29:51 AM »
Hi, I've installed the preview build over a fresh install of 5.666, it works after it's installed but then the next time I turn my machine on, WACUP doesn't start - it's in the task manager as a background process, but the window never appears.

This is windows 10 pro 64-bit on a surface pro 3. Anything I can collect for you?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:57:40 PM by dro »

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: WACUP won't start
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 03:28:01 AM »
I have never seen it run on one of those surface pros before. I will bet that the skin just went off the top of the screen.
I am assuming the directory structure is the same as a normal install of windows.
Close WACUP
In the %AppData%\Roaming\WACUP folder there is a file named studio.xnf. Rename it to studio.old
Start WACUP again and see if that works. If it does. save that studio.old file. DrO might want you to send it to him.

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:06:30 AM »
Thanks Juanus. I don't have a %AppData%\Roaming\WACUP folder, but I do have a %AppData%\Winamp folder that had a studio.xnf file in it, so I renamed that one - no change.

I don't think it's as simple as not being on the screen as I don't get the icon in the system tray (I turned off the taskbar and turned on the system tray icon) at all either.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
The next best thing you can try is to rename the winamp.ini file to winamp.old and see if that helps any.
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:34:45 PM »
If that doesn't help then I'd remove the install & reinstall wacup just by using it's installer as it handles the 5.666 install for you.

Also when it's running in the background, is it showing as using any processor time ?

And to double check, it was downloaded from the wacup site & not somewhere else like chip.de ?

-dro

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 01:44:15 AM »
So.. that's a little odd. After I renamed that file and it didn't work, I rebooted the machine to see if that would make a difference and it's worked ever since. I left off reporting back so I could test it a little more thoroughly to make sure.

I didn't know the WACUP installer did the 5.666 as well, that's handy.. but previously I had tried just that one (after uninstalling the Winamp 5.8 dealie (i was curious)) and it wouldn't launch at all then either, which is when I did the 5.666 install and then WACUP over the top of that. The WACUP installer was downloaded from here, and the 5.666 was downloaded from the old winamp site way back when. When it was stuck in the background I didn't notice it using processor time, certainly not much if any.

Anyway, seems it's fine now, I'll report back if it goes wrong again.

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 03:16:52 AM »
Which file did you rename and it worked? The studio file or the winamp.ini file?

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 04:01:38 AM »
The studio file. I see that it's created a new one now though.

Also I just knocked the dock connector and seem to have killed things pretty good, I can't play anything of my network share anymore - but it's the same in Groove, so this isn't a WACUP/Winamp problem.

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 04:03:55 AM »
Correct. When you start wacup it will create a studio file if there is one not already there. Sometimes the file gets corrupted.

Good luck with your duck connector.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 04:18:01 PM »
Also I just knocked the dock connector and seem to have killed things pretty good
*fingers crossed* you're able to get that fixed.

-dro

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 02:33:06 AM »
It's doing it again with the latest public build. WACUP and Winamp (32 bit) are running as backgound tasks in the task manager, but there's no tray icon or window appearing. If I end task on WACUP and Winamp and try starting again (via Start Menu shortcut) it does the same thing, just those two processes starting (not using any CPU or anything) but no program appearing.

If I doubleclick an MP3 file, I get another instance of WACUP starting under background tasks, but still nothing appearing or playing.

Oh.. I tried to open an album's worth of MP3s (select all, right click, Open) and now I have a while pile more WACUP and Winamp instances running there..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:38:52 AM by pimento »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 03:48:22 AM »
Ok, that's the bit of information that we were missing & I assume the machine wasn't badly damaged in the end?

Currently interaction with Explorer / OS shell is not fully implemented (e.g. double-clicking or using the open actions in Explorer) and is noted during install but not clearly enough.

That's what is going to be causing the apparent hung processes or multiple ones to be started & is why the WACUP previews (and beta builds) generally try to run as portable only installs but if there's been an existing Winamp install then depending on where WACUP is installed, the OS associations might be present & so can be used & thus lead to the issues being seen.

I've still to track down what's going on to cause the processes to hang as my local testing has generally worked but I know some of the earlier beta testers have reported a similar issue with the processes just hanging around & I've only been able to replicate it a few times but couldn't debug it at the time so I'm still stumped. Fixing it & getting Explorer / OS shell integration completed is one of the blockers for a non-preview build which can functionally replace an existing 5.666 install.

-dro

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 04:08:34 AM »
This also happens when I run WACUP from the start menu, and at the moment it's happening every time I try to launch it - is there any debugs or something I can take for you before I try a restart?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »
It happening from the start menu is definitely odd as there's no reason for that to be trying to load anything other than its current settings.

The best thing I can think off so I can check if it's corrupted settings or something odd is to make a backup of your WACUP install (using http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool/) & then pm me a copy of the zip & I'll have to see what I can find. But really I need to get the file association handling re-implemented so I can actually debug things instead of the initially crippled solution that the preview builds are currently running.

-dro

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 07:46:53 AM »
It's doing it again, so PM sent.