Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Public release installation error  (Read 8698 times)

limbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Public release installation error
« on: January 10, 2019, 06:53:06 AM »
I tried this version 1.0.0.3174, but it gives an error on first run.
Complains missing WACUP/System/timer.w5s which is actually is there as timer.w5s.patched.
So if the file is renamed manually it is OK. but it should be named correctly in the first place by the installer.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Public release installation error
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »
The file ending in patched isn't a guaranteed working dll so renaming it isn't necessarily go to fix the issue & is likely to cause more problems.

Are you deselecting anything during the install process like modern skin support perhaps ? Either way I need some more info on the exact steps needed to replicate this issue please.

-dro
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:45:10 PM by dro »

limbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
Well, I tried to install the same package on my home desktop PC and I experienced no problems at all.
It strange. Probably is related to the system... I will let you know if I can replicate the issue.

Just out of curiosity: How is it possible for the installer to write the timer.w5s.patched file on the System directory? In my home PC with the succeed installation only the timer.w5s exist on the System directory.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
It might be something to do with the anti-virus/malware protection you're using. As the patching process works on a temporary file & then copies it to replace the original file but something has blocked that replacement step from happening - why I honestly don't know as the installer running means it's been given the appropriate permissions.

-dro

limbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:12:37 AM »
Scratch my report.
I tried to uninstall, delete the folder and install again on the same computer following the same steps. Everything was fine.
Maybe something went wrong caused of the PC load and other running processes at the time of the first installation.
To be honest this PC is old and so maybe I had push it too much at the time.
FYI: no antivirus is running in the background

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
Sunspots & random stuff from space is my normal reason for such things. I've added a small tweak to the installer going forward that better ensures the code is in a known state but I think we'll just have to put this one down to an unlucky experience.

-dro