Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: So.... Winamp 5.8 Beta was leaked  (Read 19013 times)

musicf8

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
So.... Winamp 5.8 Beta was leaked
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
Kind of surprised it took this long to actually leak tbh

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: So.... Winamp 5.8 Beta was leaked
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »
Me too though it makes you wonder what snapped in someone to finally do it (or is it a side-effect of the twitter account hack or is it even about testing the waters though I somewhat doubt that last idea). Not that there's many people who would have had access to that build...

-dro

musicf8

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
I have a feeling it is related to the twitter hack, as there might have been a link to the beta in the DMs, if not then that's some interesting timing haha

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
The DMs aspect would only make sense if it also included login details to get the beta download site / page (but then doing that via twitter was a dumb move & I thought the preference was email / mailing lists). Though iirc how it was done changed after I was let go so I don't know if they kept a one-login for all approach (probably the case) or moved to per-user login on whatever was being used (I somehow doubt that would have been done).

Either way, the reactions have been interesting from what I've seen so far though as it's from an unknown source & not known what might have been done to the installer / files included, a cautionary approach for those wanting to try it out is the only way (though I'd rather stick with a patched 5.666 than try that thing out or as I'll instead do, just keep using my WACUP builds :) ).

-dro

hanschke

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 06:25:11 PM »
WACUP is much better :D

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
Am a bit surprised (but not too much) that there's still not been anything mentioned by the current owners.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
Well we've now got https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/15/winamp-returns-in-2019-to-whip-the-llamas-ass-harder-than-ever/ which my reading of it implies that the 5.8 that will be formally provided (which makes me now think more so that the leaky build was to test the waters / find any major bugs) & then that's the end of the desktop version with "Winamp 6" being their mobile / web solution (based on the war with itunes is over comment - that's just got to mean no more windows builds at least based on the 2.x/5.x base).

I'll still be here working on WACUP (though I know a lot are questioning why even before all of this) as I think it shows that more than ever we need a properly supported windows client (going 64-bit is something that needs to be considered sooner as well) & now a lip-service release that is barely changed from the leaky build which itself sat untouched for most of the last 4.5 years. Otherwise the mobile platform agnostic marketing blurb isn't surprising as I'm sure I heard it all in meetings 4 years back & I honestly don't think it's going to be what people expect *shrugs*

-dro

hanschke

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »
I read on a german news site that we get on 18. october a offiziell 5.8 build. Will you take this as base?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 05:59:34 PM »
Nope, I'm not going to touch 5.8 in any manner as if I was to try & rebase WACUP on top of 5.8 it'd set me back a few months from having to re-apply & validate some of the specific patches as well as everything else around it.

But as I'm working towards not using the 5.666 files long term, to change to then rely upon a build from a company I despise, it doesn't make sense to me :)  And if the implications in the article are correct (as well as the tone from https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/winamp-is-returning-as-an-all-in-one-music-player-but-it-wont-be-out-till-2019-5386901.html which references WACUP), they're more than happy to ditch the old version & that leaves a gap for WACUP imho.

-dro

hanschke

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »
not using the 5.8 files? sounds like a different player?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:31 PM »
The aim is that WACUP will become it's own thing (hence the recent changing of the 'P' from meaning 'Pack' to now be 'Project') & not rely upon using key Winamp files as it currently does. Sure it'll be possible to use the 'legacy' Winamp plug-in files if I get it right but my aim is more about having something that can be supported & developed going forward instead of as this 5.8 appears to be as the end of the line (which imho would be better to not do & just lave it as 5.666 as sod all has really been done for the amount of time passed vs what is meant to be in 5.8 based on the leaky build changelog).

I've already technically replaced or removed the need for over 50% of the 5.666 provided files (it's closer to 60% with things that are in-progress). So that's why I don't see any benefit to having to re-do a load of work to then continue with replacing files / features that I've had to become compatible with. That's one of the main reasons why I don't want to touch 5.8 as I've tried to explain a few times previously (& probably not as well as I could have).

-dro

MarkRH

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Mark Headrick's Website
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 12:36:31 AM »
Something tells me, their 5.8 won't be able to quite do what I can do with Wacup now and the odds of them listening to me to change something is pretty much 0%. With 5.8 being the last Desktop update it would seem, why bother?  I don't own a smart phone (do what!?) so that is all irrelevant to me.)

Wimukthi

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »
I just saw the news about Winamp 6 on techcrunch, I think they're going to ditch the desktop client after their 5.8 update, WACUP has become a completely different player in a very good way tbh and I love it very much, so this news doesn't excite me much.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 03:25:03 AM »
Well that seem to have shown their hand (re: https://getwacup.com/community/index.php/topic,410.msg2959.html#msg2959) unless it's a ploy to go "oh ok we've heard you" but I doubt it & is why I think WACUP is going to be the best option going forward (I just need to hold up to my part of getting things public ready).

MarkRH: that's sadly a fair summary of things as you're not the streaming user that they want (& need) to make them $$$. and without your requests wacup wouldn't be where it is & I'm eternally grateful for that.

Wimukthi: that's been the aim to try & channel that actual winamp feel rather than getting an incomplete build given as a 'final' release as 5.8 essentially is now.

-dro

hanschke

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile