Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Send to External tool  (Read 7184 times)

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
Send to External tool
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »
OK here is a nice easy one.

Can we have the option to add an external tool, to the send to menu ?
Send to editor, for example would be useful.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Send to External tool
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:10:32 AM »
I guess so though it might make more sense for me to do it as part of having a working send-to mode without the need for the library plug-in also being installed. The other thing that could tag along with this is resurrecting the plug-in that was able to provide the Explorer right-click menu (so it's easier to access a range of options) but maybe a multi-mode support for the basic request would suffice for both counts (just typing as I'm giving an initial thought to this).

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
Interesting. Although adding Explorer context menus has pros and cons.
Very useful, but if you have a lot of tools installed that add context items, it can be a laggy way to do anything.
However as that experience will be very individual for everyone, I am not saying I think it is a bad idea at all.

Specifically regarding an edit option,
looking at another tool for recording I see they have gone about it in a way that I can't make up my mind if I like.
Their solution is an edit button in the GUI. First time you click on it, it prompts you to point it at your chosen tool.
From then on it just opens the tool.
It has a convenience but I prefer if it was all done in a prefs panel.

An edit file option could be anywhere, even just a file menu item.
I just figure that as an activity you are sending the current file to an editor, so it seems a natural bedfellow to go in with the other send to options.
That would also allow for sending a track that is not the current track, and sending multiple files.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
been asking for the elusive Joonas's EXPLORER CONTEXT MENU and DRAG+DROP FROM PLAYLIST EDITOR plugins to come back ever since they stopped working. i find myself constantly doing Ctrl+F and opening dozens of explorer windows.
if explorer context menu option seems too bulky, maybe it can be editable? drag+drop (using ctrl+shft) was absolutely indispensible.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
It was shaneh that did the explorer context menu plug-in ;)

I did reach out to joonas about taking on the drag+drop plug-in but nothing came of it sadly (did get a response but never a follow-up reply).

Though as I'm planning on replacing a lot more things, drag+drop being a native part of the main playlist editor is part of my plan. I've also had a quick look at the explorer context menu stuff & I just need time/inclination to get around to working on adding it.

-dro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »
very happy to hear that. will be on the lookout.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »
I'm having a look at the explorer context menu request tonight so will see how that goes - hopefully it'll make it into the delayed next beta build.

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »
Cool, I was thinking about this again a few days ago.
Often I'm listening to a longmix or podcast and want to quickly cut a section out.
MP3 DirectCut adds itself to the explorer "Send to" menu so will be available for any file.
It does not register by filetype so I was initially worried it would not be available with the explorer menu.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
It might make sense to do something to make certain actions more integral to what's offered if such tools can be found than relying on the explorer style context menu & hoping that things are in there. The other one that came up on reddit recently relates to mp3tag & I was thinking of adding a dedicated sub-menu for that so maybe if the explorer context menu option is too many levels than I can pursue more specific integration options.
-dro