Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Shoutcast Radio Classic Media Library plugin  (Read 7357 times)

zumer

• -zumer-
    • View Profile
Shoutcast Radio Classic Media Library plugin
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »

I want to give my work to the community.

Download the latest version.
http://www.geocities.ws/zumsoft/Shoutcast_Radio_Classic_latest.html

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Shoutcast Radio Classic Media Library plugin
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:55:51 PM »
Hi zumer, here's some hopefully constructive criticism regarding this plug-in...

1) The website link comes across as spam-like as there's nothing on there to give an indication of file size, OS support or anything else. Without the context of the image & having done a search to find you'd previously posted this on the Winamp forums, I'd probably not have attempted to try it if I was a normal user.

2) The plug-in doesn't follow the library font styling so like in the image I've attached which shows the areas that aren't showing in the larger font I'd expected based on my user settings (the list is correct as the library plug-in handling of listviews is dealing with that correctly in this case)

3) The play / enqueue handling doesn't appear to be working correctly. I've got enqueue set as the default library mode & using the menus gives the inverted action so enqueue nuked my playlist (thankfully I can use the undo action to get things back). Double-click seems to be ok so something to check out.

4) The plug-in seems awful large (1.51MB for what it's doing). My version (see other attached screenshot) is ~100KB though I do have it using a shared copy of libcurl so maybe you've done the same but included it (or a comparable networking library, etc) all together which could explain it. However I just note it as the modern skin engine (gen_ff) is ~1.6MB & does so much more so there might be some optimisation / compiler options that can be tweaked to get down to what I'd expect a plug-in of this type to be more like.

Overall it appears to work & is a different take on how I've tried to do it with my initial version of a plug-in (which works on a local cache rather than live queries against the Icecast, SHOUTcast & Tunein services).

-dro

zumer

• -zumer-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 02:39:26 PM »
Hi dro, glad you appreciated the work and thanks for your comments. I will work further on improving. A large size is associated with the static linking of libcurl and libxml2. I did it that I would not depend on the version of the libraries, as well as what the user could use with the original winamp of the older versions.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »
Oh ok, I don't put any focus on older winamp versions as I don't see any benefit. I know there are people out there still using ancient 2.x builds but I do not want to be crippled by limited api support for actions that later 2.9x & up to the last 5.666 build added support for that imho made my life as a plug-in dev much easier.

If you're statically linking, there are some linker optimisation options that you can make use off to help keep the size down (which remove code that isn't going to be used) as well as only building libcurl for the support that is needed & not all of the FTP, telnet & other options (you might already be doing that but is something to be aware off).

-dro

zumer

• -zumer-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
Hi DRO, of course you are right. I did not pay attention to the size. In the next version, your wishes will be taken into account.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
Am just thinking more of your potential user base (though I'd hope to convert them over to wacup ;) ) as a plug-in bigger than their winamp.exe might be seen as 'odd'. Anyway, our plug-ins are aimed at different targets so it's all good to see some other plug-in dev happening :)

-dro