Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Huge Collection Of Skins Available  (Read 16156 times)

limbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Huge Collection Of Skins Available
« on: August 25, 2018, 09:14:41 AM »
Back in the days of Winamp termination announcement I tried to download every single plugin and skin available on Winamp downloads page.
I'm not quite sure that I have all the skins but I can ensure you that I have more than 63.000 skins available.

The total size is about 10GB and my question is is there any reliable way to publish them on the web and make them available again to the public?
I'm thinking to upload a package to Mega.nz or a similar cloud service but I'm not sure.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:38:03 PM by dro »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Huge Collection Of Skins Available
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »
That many skins seems a little bit at odds with what's been accrued already by the internet archive already who would be the best people to provide a skin dump to rather than the options you've mentioned (though they've already got the old winamp.com site dump so if it's the same it might not be all that helpful to provide).

-dro
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:37:47 PM by dro »

hatecubed

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
I would say a torrent would be the best way to distribute that kind of thing/size... though I must admit I am so far out of the loop with torrents (equally for legitimate and ... not-so-much ones!)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »
The problem with doing those large all-in-one dumps is that they're never properly curated (including de-duplication & cleaning up filenames, zips-in-zips, etc) which makes them awful to work with from the end-user view point As there's some performance issues with dumping 1000s of skins into the skins folder & then trying to access them (especially via some of the menus).

With what the internet archive & others are working on, the need for a user to manually download large dumps may not be needed. As something I'd experimented with but it needs more work on a number of areas (so ignore a lot of the location in the preferences of the image below) would make it easier from within WACUP to find & try out the skins without blindly doing it as is the case currently.

-dro

Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »
I would say a torrent would be the best way to distribute that kind of thing/size... though I must admit I am so far out of the loop with torrents (equally for legitimate and ... not-so-much ones!)

You used to be able to pick single files from torrents if you didnt want the whole package.. if the user named then ok and its mainly a-z, then its easy to see what u want as u scroll.. but like you, ive not used torrents for years so i dunno how they work nowadays

ruberodent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:52:15 AM »
I would love to see this posted.
A torrent would be great.
May I ask... do you happen to know if you have a skin with a tron light cycle theme?
Basically the song scrubber moved along and instead of a block it was a light cycle...
Please let me know.. I'm going nuts trying to find this oldie.

ALSO... do you happen to know if you have a Particle fountain skin that came with a sound blaster card??? Or any skin that was part of a sound blaster release?
Thank you!
Neil.

MarkRH

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Mark Headrick's Website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »

ruberodent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
Thank you!
I see this skin around.
It's a great skin... bu not what I'm looking for.
Thank you for trying!!!
Neil.

N3koBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 06:36:01 AM »
I seen someone in Winamp enthusiasts group on Facebook that shared a huge library of skins that was shared via mega.nz
I don`t know if its same person or not but ill post the link to the folder below if anyone wishes to see what it has

Here`s the link to the folder (takes awhile to load)
https://mega.nz/#F!Tc4kGSab!UsPvRxiS4C-ffQxa1YcY6Q

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 12:15:21 AM »
I think it's the same thing tbh but I've not tried it out nor how it compares to the dump that's on the mywinamp site (which is being used as a basis for the skin collection that the internet archive have been collating & hence my recommendation to pass this to them so they can add anything they've not yet got a hold off).

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 12:25:10 AM »
This has just been posted https://blog.archive.org/2018/10/02/dont-click-on-the-llama/ & is why I'd made my early suggestion to send them the files as there's the (currently classic skin only) colleciton of skins @ https://archive.org/details/winampskins that they're gone through & de-duplicated & started to tidy-up, etc.

Am hoping it won't be too long before modern skins appear in the collection (they've got them) as that'll make the in-WACUP skin browser/installer I want to add actually be useful instead of just being limited to classic skins only.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 10:02:56 PM »
I'm assuming that dump that's mentioned is what was later posted on the Winamp Enthusiasts group? If it is then I've just passed on that link to the Internet Archive people to process & add in what hasn't already been collected by them (if it's a dump of winamp.com then they've most likely got most of them already). Same goes for any other skin collections people may have as they're double-checked for duplicates so the main skin collection on the internet archive is just giving what's there rather than a load of duplicates as sadly a number of the skin dumps I've seen provide.

-dro

garetjax

• suck it
    • View Profile
    • 1001Skins
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
The biggest problem with the winamp.com skins dump is the versioning of skins, plugins, files.  They are usually contained in the skins list with a _###.zip (wsz).  Additionally, as was previously stated the dumps are also unverified and non-curated.  I once had the same idea to upload to a singular location all of the skins for 1001, and knowing that 1001 has all the skins curated, categorized, and versioned still would do nothing in a singular file pool from which users would have to download and privately curate after download; because of how I have stored them.

1001 stores skins by their Id and links to their meta information by filename. 
Winamp.com Stored them by filename and linked them to a series of meta information by Id.

Neither site would easily be able to combine both sets of data in a way that would easily allow for self curated content.
Owner 1001skins.com | Developer WMC/WCL