Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Artwork : Display front cover instead of first image  (Read 3006 times)

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Artwork : Display front cover instead of first image
« on: January 04, 2021, 10:51:42 PM »
Hi,

I noticed that the album art displayed in modern skin (I don't know about classic) is the first image that is embedded, even if it's not the front cover. It would make sense that the front cover is displayed, whatever position it is at.

And I still hope someday for some way of navigating between all the art embedded in a song, but thats another point...

Mits

• View Profile
Re: Artwork : Display front cover instead of first image
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »
I was never aware that you could embed more than one picture in a music file. I did some research and it seems it's not provisioned in the mp3 specifications. For example, a nice small utility that embeds pictures (https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=mp3artembedder) implies that only one is possible.

Therefore, I assume that the mp3 producer used an automated tagger tool which embedded the wrong picture from a list of albumart scans. I think the only remedy is to find the correct cover and re-embed it by using the File Info - Artwork tab (Alt+3) in Wacup.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 11:49:30 PM »
Beginning with version 2 of the mp3 standard it is very flexible with regards to the type and number of images that can be embedded. However in practice only one image is ever usually embedded. Winamp v 5.666.3516 and so far WACUP only recognizes 1 embedded image. It is usually the embedded image tagged as the cover.

Years ago there was a Winamp plug-in that could read and display multiple embedded images in mp3 files. Unfortunately it stopped working and I don't remember what it was called. Maybe some old timers who read this will remember what it was. Even better, have a copy that dro could look at when he has the time.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:18:02 PM »
I am confused. I can assign (embed) a unique image to every track in a album. Sometimes I assign the cover to the first track and the back cover to the last track and each song a page from the booklet. However, I did not know one could assign (embed) more than one image per track.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:54 PM »
It depends on the metadata tag format & what it supports as to how many options there can be.

Currently I'm using whatever is found first but with a preference for the front cover as that's more likely to exist. Reading in the other bits of artwork isn't much more work.

The pain is how to do it in the ui when especially with modern skins involved, there's no easy solution at the moment to allow them to distinguish let alone cycle between them (unless I've missed something with gen_ff's handling of artwork). That's why I've not actively done anything as other than the alt+3 dialog & the artwork window (aimed for classic skins but can be used with modern), where it's generally wanted it can't be leveraged for now.

-dro

MRakestraw

• music addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:03:29 PM »
Just an FYI...
I have been using MP3TAG (https://www.mp3tag.de/en/) for a while, he just recently started supporting naming each embedded image, I thought (assumed) that this was compliance with a standard.
Music Addict