This is a bit of an idea finding post as the library playlists support in Winamp is somewhat lacking at times based on what I’ve seen mentioned in the past.
So if a replacement plug-in were to be made, what sort of new features would be wanted in addition to matching where feasible the existing functionality of the native library playlists plug-in ?
- Displaying more information and even artwork (e.g. like the local library views can do depending on how they’ve been configured)
- Categories so its easier to manage / group lots of playlists (e.g. like the bookmark categoriser plug-in did for bookmarks)
- Additional save formats for easier interoperability (e.g. XSPF)
- Tracking of changes in source playlists when using the import option (using the actual playlist on import equates to this but it might be handy to have the imported copies track back when using a managed copy instead of the real playlist)
- Being able to generate a playlist from a folder without an existing playlist file present (e.g. you drag and drop a folder onto the playlists root view and you’ve then got a playlist automatically created)
If you’ve got any thoughts / suggestions on any of the above or what you think would make the library playlists support better then please comment below as I’m trying to plan out for later on what could be done with a replacement plug-in :)