Between a bank holiday (which threw my timing out), some other matters I needed to sort out and not much to really talk about for week 14, this update is a combination of the last two weeks (14 and 15).
So between all of that and “ooh look at that shiny thing” distractions (which I need to get in-check), what I’d intended to do (especially for week 14 didn’t quite manifest itself). The main thing that has appeared has been an (almost complete) update of the vgmstream plug-in (which I’ve not yet released as a standalone update yet as transcoding support needs to be finished off).
The vgmstream plug-in fits in well with what a lot of people have used Winamp for with being able to play video game music, module files and the like. The reason for picking this plug-in to update is because I’ve used it on-off over the last few years and finally after seeing another comment about issues with it showing as ‘not loaded’ in Winamp’s preferences (which is due to not installing all of the supporting dlls the plug-in needs), I’ve put on the development page what the changes from the existing copy of the plug-in are.
Other things have been helping koopa fix a weird issue with backuptool which was a small step in helping him to get a v3.0 release finally done. So once again, if you haven’t already done it, backup your Winamp settings!
I’ve also been starting on the basics of the installer and with things at the moment, it’s about a 1.4MiB installer at the moment (which extracts out to ~4.3MiB) so isn’t too “heavy”.
In the process of doing the installer, I’ve decided that to be more open in what could be installed and where, I’ve put up this page which does just that. Please bear with as it’s a bit crude as it’s just a basic output by using tree /F /A on the command-line so isn’t nice looking or link out to related information.
I may also do a similar thing with Winamp itself for what comes in the redux installers.
The rest of the time due to being limited has mainly been aimed at working on fixing any bugs that exist with the new code and if needed doing some patching to disable some of the features in Winamp (just so I can then for example set a menu item once instead of having to hook it via all attempts to update menu items - which means less code and less processing = win :o) ). The only downside is that it’s a bit slower to implement than just going for the hook and filter approach but it’s about doing what is right long-term than just a quick bodge fix.
I also on Friday against my better judgement looked at the official forums and ended up having to make a reply which in hindsight I don’t think I should have done but I’m tired of hearing snippets of things that the lack of an official Winamp update is somehow my fault due to not allowing them to include the JTFE plug-in.
My decision to not allow them to include it anymore was solely based on their management never responding to the email I’d sent to try to a) clarify any future Winamp involvement and b) to prevent such a situation arising where I’m blamed for things. The lack of any response and the subsequent pain in getting owed pay out of them means I’m now holding to my stance and as they’ve not made any attempt to contact me (i’m not hard to find), I am not going to take the blame for that (what I will admit is that how code changes were done post-sale weren’t done as well as they could have been).
Maybe the post is still there but I really don’t know as I’ve not looked back there and really don’t plan on doing so. As it just seems to have gone to the dogs (especially with the lack of any official response on the SHOUTcast side which is completely saddening to see when a lot of what is still being asked is simple to answer or can be easily found in the recent docs that are provided with the DNAS) or just having people asking the same question over and over again and others having to point them to the same post (as sticky threads are often ignored even if made clearly obvious).
And with what’s being stated for their new version imho just turns Winamp into a WMP wrapper for key formats (and even that isn’t complete it seems) and is just a way to avoid paying out (along with wanting people to work on it for free - do we see a recurring theme here..). So if that is the best that can be done then I’ll more than happily pass and keep on with this project instead. So that’s the rant over with.
Finally onto a more cheerful note after that rant, I’m looking for suggestions on what people would prefer to use for beta testing.
As my initial thought is to use something like a google group or mailing list or having a small forum and having feedback open (or private depending on consensus) and with private download links for the beta builds (done however depending on what is chosen).
So thoughts / suggestions about this (as I don’t have a preference at this time) then please leave it below in the comments or drop me an email if you’d prefer to do it that way :o)